Saturday, May 23, 2009

Youth Hockey Days: Hawks


click images to enlarge














Not a bad team here. Randy Parsons was the captain, and the assistant captain was named John (I think). The goalie, Nelson Cornish, was incredible. My Dad thought Nelson was the best goalie in the Fairbanks area. Half of this team formed the nucleus of an Alaskan All-Star team for our division, and we went on to play at the Alaska-Canada Tournament in Anchorage where we did quite well when we played against the other Alaskan teams.

Then we played Whitehorse, Canada in our final match, and those kids from the Yukon Territories really took us to school! It wasn't a blowout; I think the final score was 3-1 against us, but we returned to Fairbanks with the realization that there's a bigger world out there.

PS - if my hair was any longer in this photo, I'd look a little like Garth from "Wayne's World". I'm wearing #8 in these photos because I couldn't wear my beloved #11 due to a "management problem". (Ordering the wrong jerseys!)

PS - The cutoff temperature for these outdoor games was -35 degrees. Which means if the temperature was -32 degrees, you're still playing. The little kids got to play on the warmer indoor ice most of the time. As you got older, your butt was sent outside!
















No comments:

Post a Comment