Saturday, May 23, 2009

Susan McKellar: "Penga Tar!"


We (Aldens & McKellars) were on a camping trip. If there were other people along with us - which is likely - I can't recall who they were. I'm not even sure where we were, but I'm certain that we were camping.

It was in the morning, and Doug, Susan and I were sitting in the McKellar's "Prowler" camper. I remember thinking the Prowler was a bit nicer and roomier than our camper, the "Taurus".

Doug and I were comparing sleeping quarters. I remember we were fascinated by the way you could sit around a small dining table inside the camper, enjoying a snack, and presto! The dining table would fold down and collapse, transforming into a plank bed onto which you'd throw some cushions and maybe a Coleman sleeping bag. It was like something out of a James Bond movie.

That's when Susan began to annoy Doug.

"Penga Tar!" Susan shrieked.

Nobody said a word.

I mean, I heard Susan, but I didn't really know what she meant. The folding table continued to hold my interest.

"Penga Tar! Penga Tar!"

To put it delicately, Susan was exuberant.

Doug sighed, but he said nothing. He pretended not to notice.

Susan acknowledged Doug's eye-rolling indifference and kicked things up a notch in accordance with sibling bylaws.

"Penga Tar! Peng Tar!"

Doug snapped. "Susan, ENOUGH ALREADY!!"

Doug made a brushing motion towards his sister, as if to shoo away a pesky mosquito.

Susan paid him no mind. In fact, I think the shooing motion merely encouraged her.

"Penga Tar! Penga Tarrrrr!"

Doug lost it.

"AAARRGH!"

In a fit of hilarious insanity, Doug started chasing Susan around the inside of the Prowler. Susan screamed and ran for the door and they both ended up outside.

I couldn't make heads or tails out of any of this. So I stepped outside to see if I could figure out what the heck was going on.

"Um, what's she saying, Doug?"

"She's saying playing guitar, playing guitar... and it drives me nuts!"

Susan did a little dance in her pajamas while gesturing with her hands, strumming on invisible strings.

"Penga Tar....Penga Tar..."

I thought it was adorable.

Douglas was positively volcanic.

No comments:

Post a Comment