Saturday, May 23, 2009

Youth Hockey Days: Scouts


click images to enlarge











The original Hanson Bros?















The Scouts!















Scouts team photo #2. Darren Noble is there, as well as Randy Parsons (red helmet, top row) and my dad as coach. Was Doug McKellar sick that day? I don't see him here.















The Scouts dressing room. Reporters and ladies will kindly wait outside for autographs. The redheaded kid was named Ricky. He already looks like a hockey player with that toothless smile!



















Article dated November 28, 1975 from the Yukon Sentinel, a paper based on Ft. Wainwright which was included with the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner on Fridays.







Note the excerpt above (click to enlarge). I scored in the 1st period but it was Tommy Howell and Darren Noble who saved the day! PS - the reporter cracks me up. "Ice breaking action..." gotta love it!















Scouts take the ice for a practice session















I wore my favorite number, 11, during my first year with the Scouts. The next year I wore #21 to honor my hockey hero, Gil Perrault, a French Canadian who played for the Buffalo Sabres. When I moved on to the Hawks in the next division, I wanted to go back to #11, because it was my "personal" number, but I had to wear #8 because the person who purchased our jerseys goofed and didn't order #11. I wasn't happy, but that's life.













No comments:

Post a Comment