Saturday, May 23, 2009

Extra: Why I Remember These 6 Songs Of The Era



1) Fly Like An Eagle - Steve Miller Band
This is one of those songs which I associate with a specific time and place. Some songs are like that, aren't they?  I was at the McKellar's for a sleepover one summer weekend and Greg had this record on vinyl.  This song was played nonstop!  The needle would be reset and the song would be repeated.  Whenever this pops up on my iPod or the radio, I'm taken back to that sleepover immediately. How specific is my memory? Greg was wearing a purple football t-shirt and it was a sunny weekend.Time keeps on slipping...slipping...slipping...

2) Get Up And Boogie - The Silver Convention
One of the adults (can't remember who - but it wasn't either of my parents) had The Silver Convention on 8-track tape in their camper.  "Get Up And Boogie" was a popular but repetitive disco tune, and I remember being intrigued by the cover art on the 8-track cassette which featured naked women spilling out of a slot machine.

3) The Theme From S.W.A.T. - Rhythm Heritage
I vaguely recall the TV series but I remember the theme song well. I think of driving around Ft. Wainwright with my Dad (usually going to hockey practice) whenever I hear this song.  I think it was on one of those 8-track sampler collections by K-Tel.

4) Afternoon Delight - Starland Vocal Band
You didn't have to be going through puberty to sense that this song was somehow "naughty".  I don't know how the actual lyrics go, but it was something like "rubbing sticks and stones together makes the sparks ignite and the thought of rubbing you has got me so excited!"  It was enough to make some of us giggle. The band that came out with this song had a short-lived TV variety show that summer, which totally sucked. But I watched it anyway.

5) The Hustle - Van McCoy
As if the radio didn't overplay it, "The Hustle" could be heard in our living room for about a week or two because my Dad actually bought the freakin' record. One merciful afternoon, my Dad said "Well, I guess that's about enough of that." I don't think anybody complained; in my mind there was a round of applause. It was a record destined for our yard sale bin, along with "The Best of Helen Reddy" and "The Best of Tony Orlando & Dawn". Come to think of it I kind of want to buy those records.

6) Shake, Shake, Shake (Shake Your Booty) - KC & The Sunshine Band
My Mom and I got into a disagreement as to the meaning of this song. I watched KC sing it on TV and I chuckled at the lyrics. My Mom wanted to know what was so funny, and I explained to her that it was a song about getting out on the dance floor and shaking your butt. Pretty self-explanatory, right? Mom would have nothing of it. "No, Michael - I heard that song on the radio the other day and I'm pretty sure that's not what they mean by 'shake your booty'." I asked her what she thought the song meant. She said, "It's about shaking your wallet or something. You know, flashing your cash."
Huh?!
I remember turning to her and saying "it's not 'booty' as in 'pirate', Mom."

No comments:

Post a Comment